Santee Electric Cooperative would like to wish everyone a very
happy Thanksgiving! Please keep these safety tips in mind while
cooking your dinner!
• Never leave anything cooking on the stovetop unattended.
• When cooking your turkey, make sure someone is always in the
house. Also, remember to check your turkey frequently while it is
• As the kitchen becomes the gathering area for family and friends,
be certain that children are watched carefully and kept at least
3... feet away from the hot stove.
• As food gets hot it becomes very dangerous. Steam or a splash
from vegetables, gravy, or other hot liquids will cause serious
• Keep the floor of the kitchen from becoming a tripping hazard by
keeping toys, pocketbooks, and bags off of the floor.
• Don't leave knives within the reach of children.
• Make sure that all electric cords are not left dangling off the
counter within easy reach of children.
• Keep matches and lighters stored safely away from children locked
in a high cabinet.
• Make sure your smoke alarms and detectors working properly.
Also please remember, most cooking fires in the home involve the
stovetop and the leading cause of these fires is due to unattended