Follow these guidelines to have a safe holiday season.
- Carefully inspect all electrical decorations before
use. Cracked or frayed sockets, damaged or worn wiring and
loose connections may lead to a property fire hazard, serious
bodily injury or even death.
- DO NOT staple or nail through light strings or
electrical / extension cords. You could damage the wire or
insulation, which could lead to an electrical shock or fire.
- Carefully inspect all extension cords. If
using extension cords outdoors, use only extension cords marked
"For Outdoor Use." DO NOT overload extension cords or allow them to
run through water or snow on the ground.
- Before using any electrical decorations outdoors, make
sure the product is approved by a nationally recognized
certification organization and marked "For Outdoor
- You should alway turn off all electrical light strings
and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
- Follow the use and care instructions that accompany
your electrical decorations.
- If you have an artificial tree that utilizes fiber
optics for lighting, be sure the power supply is not covered or
obstructed in any way. These power supplies have a
built-in fan for cooling and the air flow should not be obstructed
in any way.
- Whether artificial or freshly cut, a tree should be
kept a safe distance away from all sources of heat.
Have a happy and safe holiday season!
<< Back to the Safety Awareness Section