to do before a storm:
- Store away some bottled water. This will be handy if you are on
a well that runs off your electric service.
- Keep on hand extra flashlights and a battery-powered radio.
Also store some extra batteries for the radio and flashlights.
Candles are another item to have on hand.
- Have a good supply of nonperishable food, such as canned goods,
powdered milk, dry cereal, and dried fruits.
- Plan for an alternate place to stay. Perhaps there is a
relative or friend that may not be affected by a storm the way you
- If you think you might ride out the storm, store away some
blankets in case your heat is not working during the outage.
Things to do during a storm:
- Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed while the power
is out. The food in your freezer will stay frozen 24 hours if the
door remains closed.
- If you see fallen power lines or poles, stay away from them.
Let the professional crews from the Co-op repair them.
- Call the Co-op to report your outage. Don't assume someone else
- Once you have called, don't call to report the outage again.
This will tie up the phone lines and may block someone from getting
- If you can go to a friend's or relative's home that has power,
<< Back to the Storm Center/Outage Viewer Section